Search This Blog

Wednesday 16 February 2011

Million Dollar Quartet - "Mmmmm, Feels Good!"

I never get to go to the theatre so how excited was I to find out that Michael Malarky is currently starring as ELVIS in the new West End show, Million Dollar Quartet
It is at Noel Coward Theatre along St.Martin's Lane and although it has already started, it doesn't 'technically' open until 28th February! This still confuses me but I am told it is quite normal...
Upon getting to the theatre, I was greeted regularly by Michael with the other stars of the show: Robert Britton Lyons (Carl Perkins), Derek Hagen (Johnny Cash) and Ben Goddard (Jerry Lee Lewis) - which I thought was very welcoming! Here's Michael and I having a few laughs, singing a few songs, having a little pose before he had to get ready for the show!
I wasn't really sure what to expect as I am only a young bairn who also suffers severely with a lack of general knowledge. But Bruce - who is closer to this period in history - informed me that it really is a famous story! I guess that is why they made a musical about it... I bought a programme just to make sure of the facts though!
It is a lively piece with songs you know and songs you say "Oh yeeeess... So THAT is who sung that!" I previously believed that Elvis was the one who wrote Blue Suede Shoes. I learnt something tonight!*Bruce just told me that Elvis didn't write any songs! He is a fountain of knowledge!!!


All the performers were absolutely mind blowing! I could write about all of them, gushing about how talented they were, how I can't believe it was live, how when Ben Goddard flicked his hair he made the ladies weak at the knees ... In fact, I already did but have deleted it all as it was just embarrassing! You must go see it for yourselves!!! 
But you will have to join the queue to see Michael at stage door. I think he must have seen me taking the photos before the start of the show and legged it out of the side exit. Or maybe he heard the blonde girl next to me say "The truth is, I am just in love with the guy who played Elvis!" 
Either way, it was a cold, pitiful wait at Stage Door... But from just £5 a ticket before 28th I may just go again : )


All photos © Bruce (He asked for me to credit him... but it was my phone he used.)


Full Cast:

Sam Phillips 




Carl Perkins 




Johnny Cash 




Jerry Lee Lewis 




Elvis Presley 
Jay Perkins, Bass 



Fluke, Drums 



Dyanne 




Carl Perkins at certain performances 
Alternate Johnny Cash, Understudy Sam Phillips 




Jerry Lee Lewis at certain performances 




Elvis Presley at certain performances 




Understudy Carl Perkins 




Understudy Johnny Cash, Carl Perkins, Sam Phillips 




2nd Cover Elvis Presley 




Understudy Dyanne 




Understudy Dyanne