Search This Blog

Saturday 20 November 2010

Thee youth of thee morrow!

Yesterday I had an hour to spare so treated myself to a coffee - a sit-in one! Recession? What recession! Make mine a sit-in with ginger stem muffin!

While sipping away I overheard a young french couple, hugging, kissing and muttering sweet nothings to eachother. It was only half an hour later that I picked up on the word 'Bitch' and 'Buses' and 'Furry'!?!? Within seconds their speech became clearer and I began to understand the jist of what they were saying!

"I have the ability to understand other languages! Amazing! I am like John Travolta in that film where he had a brain tumour that increased his brain capacity..." These were my first thoughts...

Infact the couple were simply young, trendy and with a good grip on the latest lingo. I instantly felt every second of my thirty years!

But for all of us shaking our heads disapprovingly and tutting "Why can't they speak properly" I wonder if we sound as alien as the young cool-cats* can to us? As language constantly evolves, this may be simply the next, accelerated step-up! Could our 'correct' pronunciation sounds as correct to them as a 16th century Lord would to us!?

Next time, I think I'll listen a little harder as I may pick up a few tips! (Although I was certain they wanted to steal my laptop so I stuffed my muffin down and ran away...)

"Think like a wise man but communicate in the language of the people."
William Butler Yeats

"Speak properly, and in as few words as you can, but always plainly; for the end of speech is not ostentation, but to be understood."
William Penn

*Yes, I know by using this term I am definitely NOT cool!